All schools have to have a governing body, our governors meet termly and are very supportive of the school and staff, taking all their reponsibilities seriously.
They visit school regularly and share the school vision for development ensuring continuous improvement.
Dave Gabbert - LA Governor & Co-opted Governor
I started on the governing board when my youngest daughter was attending nursery and this was many years ago. I still enjoy calling into the nursery and seeing the children enjoying themselves playing whilst at the same time learning. The staff are always very professional and welcoming and it has been, and still is, a privilege to be part of this school.
Sheila Barrett - Staff Governor
'I am the key worker for red group in both the morning and the afternoon as I work full time. I have taught at Parkview Nursery for several years and really value the support and respect offered by the parents and the local community. Previously I taught in London, where I really enjoyed going to the theatre. I also lived and taught in a country in Africa called Mozambique, where I had many fantastic holidays seeing wild animals such as lions and gorillas! I have also taught in Cumbrian villages such as Seascale and Egremont enjoying playing Squash as my hobby. As a Teacher I have taught classes of children across the age ranges from 3 to 8. I have also run my own successful childminding business catering for children from 3 months old, employing assistants as it flourished. I have accepted a variety of responsibilities over my teaching career and currently work as the SENCO at Parkview.'
Shelagh Cloudsdale - Chair & Co-opted Governor
After being a parent and a one time employee at Parkview, I'm now pleased to join the governing body. I've spent the last (almost!) 30 years of my career as an Early Years practitioner at St James' Primary in Millom and I'm very passionate about this vital, and in my opinion, most important part of a child's learning journey. I'm really interested in everything local, we have a thriving, close community in Millom and I'm very proud to be a part of it.
Steph Tyson - Parent Governor
I live in Millom with my husband and two beautiful daughters. I became a governor to learn about and participate in children's education. My trade is accounts, I am accounts manager at Energy4All in Barrow, where I have helped to set up and run over 25 community owned renewable energy co-operatives. Any spare time I have I love to spend outdoors with the kids or cycling and playing hockey.
Diane O'Brien - Co-opted Governor
Having recently retired, I am able to dedicate more time to help care for my grandchildren and to volunteer within the community. I feel privileged to become part of the governing body of the nursery where my children attended and my grandchildren will attend . Prior to retirement I worked for over twenty years within the Criminal Justice System, latterly as a Probation Service Officer within custody and in the community; specialising in Restorative Justice, supporting families, and as an Area Officer for Focus Families. I believe strongly in the importance of nursery education and the foundation this provides for ongoing learning and development.
Jackie Stocks - Co-opted Governor
I have worked in most of the schools in Millom for over 30 years, but most recently at Millom Infant School. I was honoured to be asked to join the governing board at Parkview Nursery School and I am very much looking forward to working with all the staff and governors.
Catriona Hodgson - Parent Governor
I live in Haverigg and have two children, both of which thrived at Parkview Nursery School. I was always impressed and comforted by the welcoming environment that the staff created for he Nursery and I am delighted to be able to give back by becoming a Parent Governor. I have worked at Sellafield Ltd for 15 years, and currently work in a Business Team coverning a variety of area such as Finance, Resourcing, Budgeting, Strategy and Business Improvements. I love to spend my spare time with my family and friends.
http://cms.barrowwebdesign.co.uk/temporary_uploads/291073/Governing body membership Sept 2022.docx
The Head Teacher is also on the governing board.
http://cms.barrowwebdesign.co.uk/temporary_uploads/291073/Personal & Pecuniary.docx
- To ensure all children are given equal opportunity to achieve their full potential through an education based on their individual needs
- To scaffold and inspire children's learning with careful consideration given to their interests nurturing them in all areas of learning
- To provide each and every child with a joyful, stimulating environment which includes rich outdoor learning
- To celebrate each individual’s achievements through praise each and every day
- To encourage each individual at Parkview to care for their community and environment
- Happiness and Wellbeing – promoting a kind, positive and respectful environment
- Health and Self-worth – promoting a healthy, mindful attitude towards life for children and families
- Nurture - promoting a caring, considerate environment that supports our families
- Environment – promoting curiosity, awe and wonder at the world through stimulating, challenging activities and resources
We have a clear vision of what we want to achieve at Parkview Nursery School:
- To provide a welcoming, nurturing environment in which children feel safe to take risks
- To create an environment in which our children, families and staff feel respected and listened to
- To help all children to prepare for a bright future
Parkview Nursery School – ‘Inspiring young hearts, bodies and minds’.
8.45 to 3.30 Monday to Friday (term time only)